Orderliness begets wealth, Rootologists!
During the cold winter months, it's easy for the dust bunnies and clutter to overwhelm our homes - and our pockets. But with the arrival of spring comes sunshine, chirping birds, and the oh-so-fun annual ritual of spring cleaning, everything. The following spring cleaning tips for an easier life for the rest of the year:
- Review your credit report: You can get a free copy of your credit report at www.annualcreditreport.com.
- Chip away at that debt: Tackle the highest interest rate makes the most sense mathematically, but by knocking out a small debt it can give you the momentum to keep chipping away until that debt is history.
- Organize financial documents: Keep all records and tax documents for the past six years. Scan the originals into your computer, so you don’t have to manage big stacks of paper.
- Shop around: If it's been awhile since you shopped around for better rates on your car insurance, cable, cellphone plan or other recurring items, now is the time.
- De-clutter your house: Donate things you don’t need or use. Get receipts for these donations as supporting evidence for tax deductions. When it comes to donating unwanted items, don’t forget about your pantry. Be sure to take canned goods, as well as rice, beans, etc. to the local food bank.”
- Clean out your car: Cleaning out the junk in your trunk, especially big, bulky purchases of water or other supplies, can lighten up your car and lead to less gas usage.
When you consciously open, read, and file away your bills and statements, you are connecting with your money and taking control of your life. When we feel like we just need to get organized, spring cleaning can give us a much-needed fresh start to the next year!