Try this all natural fragrance for your home using simmering waters infused with a combination of citrus, spices, herbs, & fruit. Avoid air fresheners and their harmful ingredients since many of them are especially hard on people with allergies and asthma.
Keep the supply list simple by using items available at the grocery store or from the garden. This is an easy, inexpensive and a sustainable routine of pleasantly scenting your home. This recipe is a simply guideline and doesn't have to be followed exactly. Any of the following ingredients will do..
- Citrus, sliced -- lemons, oranges, limes (may use peel only, if preferred)
- Herbs -- rosemary, thyme, & bay leaves
- Spices -- whole cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, allspice (optional), anise (optional); may substitute ground/powdered spices
- Ginger (fresh or powdered)
- Extracts --vanilla, almond, mint
- Pine twigs (or other fragrant twigs)
Lemon, Rosemary, Vanilla Scent
You will need:
- 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary,
- 2 lemons,
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Use a pint (2 cup) jar, container, or pot to combine scent waters. Add ingredients to container, cover with water, and choose from these options:
- Simmer on stove top, topping off with more water as it evaporates
- Add heated mixture to a slow cooker, fondue pot, or something similar that will keep mixture heated. Preheat waters to a boil (in microwave or on stove top).
- As water evaporates, always top it off with hot water to keep the temperature as high as possible.