Sunburn is the bane of summertime and can cause skin irritation that might ruin your fun-in-the-sun. The best thing to do is prevent sunburn, but even when you do try to protect yourself, you may end up burned anyways. To avoid peeling and get rid of the redness and stinging, here is an all natural burn cream to whip up with your household ingredients.
Not surprisingly, this cream contains water, witch hazel, aloe vera gel, mint leaves, and baking soda, all of which relieve sunburn for various reasons. You can experiment by adding or subtracting other helpful ingredients to find out what works best for you.
- 1 tablespoon of witch hazel
- 1 teaspoon of aloe vera gel
- 2-4 teaspoons of baking soda or cornstarch
- 1-2 cups of fresh mint leaves, or 1 teaspoon of peppermint oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh, clean, water
- Put 2 tablespoons of fresh water, 1 tablespoon of witch hazel, and 1 teaspoon of aloe vera gel, in a small mixing bowl.
- Stir together and then cover, letting the mixture blend and infuse for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, add 2-4 teaspoons of baking soda or cornstarch, and 1-2 cups of roughly chopped fresh mint leaves. If it seems too runny add more baking soda or cornstarch slowly, or if it’s too thick, add small amounts of water slowly until desired consistency is reached.
- Transfer to a jar or similar container with a tight fitting lid, and store in a cool dark place for 24 hours to let the cream fully infuse.
- Apply as needed. Making some ahead of time and keeping it in the refrigerator ensures you always have a handy cream to heal any sunburn you get during the hot summer months.