Step into fall with a delicious homemade chai tea! This spicy, pungent drink is made from some of the world's most medicinally active herbs. There are thousands of chai recipes – many of which come from India – but the basic components of chai include black tea, cinnamon, ginger, clove, cardamom and black pepper. While each of these ingredients has its own powerful health benefits, their synergy creates a potent tea that may help support digestion, prevent cancer, lower blood sugar and promote cardiovascular health.
- 24 ounces unsweetened almond or soy milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 small pinch coarse ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 4-12 drops liquid stevia
- Combine all of the ingredients (except sweeteners) in a small pot over medium heat and whisk to combine.
- Heat over medium-low heat 5-7 minutes until the flavors have come together; serve immediately.
- Sweeten to taste.