Hot-chocolate mix is a cold weather staple. As the chill in the air starts to pick up, try a homemade version is delicious and natural -- containing only cocoa, sugar, and salt -- and especially economical compared with store-bought mixes.
This classic hot chocolate recipe won’t wreak havoc on your waistline, so you can sip it with a smile as there are a total of 6 grams of fat and 192 calories per serving. You have some choices of how you want to carry out this recipe: choose either Sucanat or honey/low-fat milk or almond milk/vanilla extract or peppermint extract to add to the mix. We’re sure you will be pleased with all of your chocolaty experiments thanks to Skinny MS!
- 1/4 cup cocoa, no sugar added
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar, optional Sucanat (more or less to taste) or 1/4 cup honey (to taste)
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips (Enjoy Life chips are gluten, soy, and dairy free)
- 4 1/2 cups low-fat milk (optional almond milk)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (optional peppermint extract)
- Cinnamon sticks for stirring (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, heat milk over medium-low heat until steaming. Add cocoa, sweetener and chocolate chips, stir until cocoa is combined.
- Warm over medium-low heat until all ingredients are combined and hot chocolate is to desired temperature. Add vanilla and stir to combine.
- Serve in mugs with a ladle and sprinkle a little cocoa or shredded dark chocolate.