The last few weeks of winter are here... it's bitter cold, icy sidewalks, dirty snow, and wind that hurts your face and makes you want to cry. Sunshine in all and any form is needed! We at Rootology have been opting for a cooler, citrusy beverage as of late perhaps to summon a brighter perspective. Thanks to our friends at Dolly & Oatmeal, try this DIY Coconut Citrus Smoothie!
When you're making a smoothie, fee free to add as you go! There's no real math to it, so feel free to start with less and add more. The result of the ingredient amounts below is a fairly fluid smoothie that thickens over time as the chia seeds activate, which takes about 10 minutes.
- 1 cup coconut water, cold
- 1 cup coconut yogurt (or preferred yogurt)
- 1 navel orange, peeled, cut, and seeds removed
- 1 ruby red grapefruit, peeled, cut, and seeds removed
- 1 blood orange, peeled, cut, and seeds removed
- 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric, extra to top (1 teaspoon fresh turmeric)
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds, extra to top
- 1 teaspoon bee pollen, extra to top
- Place all ingredients into a high-speed blender.
- Blend on high until smooth and bubbly.
- Taste and adjust, adding more syrup or turmeric.
- You can serve immediately, or wait 5-10 minutes for the chia seeds to activate, resulting in a thicker smoothie.
- Serve, and sprinkle tops with some more chia seeds, bee pollen, and turmeric