Keep your kids hydrated this spring! This is perfect refreshing drink for the upcoming breezy spring days - a melon and kiwi agua fresca that is so simple to make! Melon juice has a cleansing, diuretic, mineralizing, and alkalinizing effect on the body and is very effective in eliminating harmful toxins. It is easily digestible and helps maintain an acid-alkaline balance in our body.
Melon juice is a rich source of antioxidants like lycopene, lutein, beta-carotene, neurosporene phytoene, and phytofluene. These antioxidants not only help protect against a number of diseases and disorders, they also boost stamina and metabolism. The vital antioxidants also help neutralize the harmful free radicals found in the body.
It contains no cholesterol and helps prevent the build up of cholesterol in the arteries and other blood vessels. Furthermore, melon juice increases the good cholesterol in the body and lowers the risk of cardiovascular disorders. While studying about the nutritional facts of melons, it is also important to shed light on some of the vital nutrients in melon juice. Some of the important vitamins are vitamin A, B6, C, D and folate. Similarly, some of the main minerals found in melon juice include: Magnesium, Potassium, Sodium, Calcium, Iron, Zinc and Selenium.
- 2 ripe cantaloupe melons
- 8 cups water
- 6 kiwis
- ¼ cup agave syrup (add more if you prefer it sweeter)
- Half the melons to get 4 pieces. Set two halves aside.
- Peel the kiwi fruit.
- Extract the fruit from one of the melons (two halves) and add to a blender.
- Add 4 cups of water and 3 of the kiwi fruit.
- Blend on high for about 30-40 seconds or the melon has been liquified.
- Place a sieve over the top of a pitcher and gradually pour the blended melon through the sieve, squeezing it through with the back of a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Discard the remaining pulp left in the sieve and continue to strain the juice from the blender.
- Repeat the process with the second melon.
- Once both melons have been blended and strained into the pitcher, add the agave and stir with a whisk until the agave has dissolved.
- Cover the pitcher with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for at least two hours or overnight.
- Add some ice to the pitcher just before serving and pour into tall glasses.
- Garnish with some extra slices of kiwi.