Whole watermelon meets coconut water meets aloe! Sometimes all you need is something simple to satisfy you. Watermelon, coconut water, aloe. It’s that easy, that obvious. This is the perfect recipe for rehydrating after a long day in the sun.
Staying hydrated plays an important role in your health because it makes up the base of your body fluids, including your blood, saliva and sweat. Getting enough water to maintain your blood pressure ensures your tissues get the oxygen, nutrients and hormones from your bloodstream that they need to function, while water in your saliva contains enzymes that help break down your food. If you suffer from dehydration, your tissues -- which all rely on water to function -- can't work effectively. Dehydration can cause dry skin, dizziness, fatigue, an increased heart rate and impaired cognitive function.
Water-rich fruit and vegetables act like a two-in-one meal and drink, providing the mineral salts, natural sugars, amino acids and vitamins that are lost in exercise. The research, carried out at the University of Aberdeen Medical School, found this combination helped hydrate people more effectively than water or even sports drinks. And a University of Naples study found that plant chemicals lutein and zeaxanthin - found in fruit such as watermelon and papaya - help boost hydration even further.
Top of the list are watermelons, which are 92 per cent water, eight per cent sugar and contain essential rehydration salts calcium, magnesium, potassium and sodium. Watermelon is also rich in Vitamin C , as well as beta carotene and lycopene which will give the body protection from UV light.
- 3-4 cups whole de-seeded watermelon flesh, not including the rind (enough to fill a large blender ¾ of the way; I used about ⅛ of my medium sized watermelon)
- Coconut water
- ¼ cup aloe flesh, pressed or scraped from the leaf, greens discarded
- Fresh basil, to garnish
- Fill the blender with the whole watermelon flesh -- about ¾ of the way full.
- Top with enough coconut water to just cover the watermelon.
- Add aloe flesh. Blend. Serve.
- Garnish with a basil leaf.