Hitting the open road this summer with your little ones? Pack a tasty and healthy treat that is sure to satisfy even the most picky eaters! Although these bars won't meet everyone's dietary restrictions, they are free of dairy, refined sugar, tree nuts, and gluten!
Think of this recipe as a template and adapt it to your own preferences. This combination of certified gluten-free oats, naturally sweet raisins and dried apricots, and roasted pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds. Holding the mixture together is coconut oil, peanut butter, brown rice syrup, flax seeds, and apples. The bars are just lightly sweet, and despite not having any dairy, they're nice and buttery from the coconut oil and peanut butter. (Substitute another nut or seed butter if you can't have peanuts.)
Cakey, Oaty Energy Bar Ingredients
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons brown rice syrup
- 1/4 cup ground flax seeds
- 1 1/4 cups apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups rolled oats (use certified gluten-free oats if necessary)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line an 8"x8" baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, combine the melted coconut oil, peanut butter, and brown rice syrup and stir until melted. Remove from heat. Add the ground flax seeds, apple sauce, and vanilla, and whisk to combine.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats with the dried fruit, seeds, cinnamon, and salt. Add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Transfer the mixture to the baking pan, pressing with your hands to create an even surface.
- Bake until golden, about 45 minutes. Cool completely in pan. Lift out and cut into 12 pieces.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Wrap individual bars tightly for transporting.