With fall ragweed and tree pollen in full swing and as we seal ourselves up indoors with the heat, allergies and sniffles hit many of us especially hard this time of the year. Here are six tips to avoid triggers and ensure you're breathing as freely as you can be.
1. Change clothes upon getting home. With ragweed and tree pollen blowing around in full force, it gets everywhere, most especially sticking to your clothes. Be sure to change and bathe when getting home to avoid transferring any of that triggering pollen inside. This is especially true if you're doing any fall-time yardwork, like raking away all the fallen leaves.
2. Clean or replace filters - all of them. Spring and fall pollen seasons are a good time of the year to remember to tend to all the air filters in your life. Your car's, your home's, your vacuum cleaner's - all of them! Think through any device or system that's blowing air, and make sure you clean out or replace the filter to remove accumulated pollen, dust and anything else that might trigger allergies or sniffles.
3. Deep clean. With your newly cleaned filters and house sealed up, deep clean everything - carpet, furniture, clothes, every nook and cranny. Whether it's pollen, dust, dander or mold spores that were coming inside through open windows and doors, but now with less fresh air and more dry air from heating and fireplace use, those particulates may trigger you
4. Use An Air Purifier. Even after a deep clean, the fact is that the indoor air quality of your home is bound to accumulate and harbor a lot of airborne particulates when it's all sealed up. Invest in a high quality air purifier that can remove those aggravating particles more effectively than our home HVACs. They're available for nearly every size space and for every budget.
5. Use a Humidifier: When the air is dry from home heating and fireplace use, our nasal and sinus airways dry out and aren't as effective at trapping irritants, causing them to more easily trigger allergies or irritation. Invest in a humidifier to help keep your airways moist and working as effectively as possible.
6. Natural relief. Even after taking all of the above steps, you may need extra help. Use Rootology Breathe Free for fast-acting, non-drowsy, natural relief. Remember, it's a take-as-needed product. So if your sinuses start acting up, take two capsules and begin feeling better within 30 minutes.